Friday, December 10, 2010

Oh, the woes of man.

So, if you read my last sappy post, you might have figured out that I am once again single. My girlfriend, or rather my ex, dumped me. So naturally I've been all moody, sluggish, sad, heartbroken and what have you. There's nothing I can do to fix it, so there's no point in moping about it, even if I will undoubtedly do that anyway, because I just can't help how I feel.

Anyway, with that little unpleasantry out of the way, I thought I'd share with you the journey I made back to the wonderful world of Linux-based operating systems. It all started with me getting World of Warcraft: Cataclysm home after having it on pre-order for a good while, and I was of course happy about that, since I was looking forward to once more enter the world of Azeroth. So I get the game home, unwrap it, start installing and I figured that I could just register the game on my Battle.net account so that would be done for when installation was. And here's where my problems started, my password wasn't working, and I'm pretty damned sure that it's the right one. So I started suspecting that my account may have been hacked, but went through the password reset process first. So far, so good, everything seemed to be working fine. I had gotten access to my account and I could easily add my new expansion to my games. During this time, the game had finished installing so I happily clicked on the big, fat play button and watch the gorgeous introduction cinematic. Alright, time to log in, I type in my email and new password, and to my surprise I can't log in. It gave me a link which I clicked and it took me to a page that said I was banned! Permanently banned even. So I've had to go through their whole account retrieval process, which involves me sending a picture of my ID-card and whole lot of e-mailing back and forth. Anyway, it turns out that my account has indeed been hacked and that I have been temporarily banned so as to stop anything else from happening. I will probably be getting a new Battle.net account with all my games transferred over from the one that got hacked. I've also gotten a mobile authenticator for my mobile phone so that this won't happen again, or at least greatly reduce the risk of it.

Simultaneously, I've been getting a lot of spam mail lately, so at some point I've probably gotten a trojan or keylogger of some sorts. My friends have been saying that I've been sending them strange e-mails (spam) and such, and I believe them because I've been getting them myself, from myself. Along with a bunch of others from said friends, who had probably been 'infected' by me in the first place. Obviously I'm not the one sending them out, and my free anti-virus software (AVG) couldn't do anything about it either. So I've had it like that for a good while now, just not bothered with it. But as someone has probably hacked both my email and Battle.net account, I figured it was time for a change, so I'm going to stop using Hotmail, and start using gmail instead. And on top of that, I've decided that it was time to reformat my PC, something I've been considering doing for a while now because of all that trojan/logger/spam shizzle, and general sluggishness. So what better time than the present, right? Right, so at first I was just going to use Windows 7 again, but I couldn't find my disc for that, so I thought that what the hell, Ubuntu is free, easy to get and supposedly faster and more reliable. So I figured that I might give Ubuntu (Linux) one more chance, because I've used it many times in the past, but it's been a damned long time since the last time now, and a lot has changed it seems. First of all, everything is so god damned simplified, which is usually a bad sign, I think. But in this case, it's simple and it actually works too! Right out of the box, something that has happened to me very rarely with Linux-based systems. On top of all that glorious awesomeness, it seems like there's been a lot of progress when it comes to running games intended for Windows on Linux. I've seen numerous videos and articles explaining that World of Warcraft works perfectly in Linux these days. Of course, it doesn't apply to everyone, but it's enough to give me hope of me never having to use a Windows system again. Which would be fantastic, to say the least. Because games, and specifically that one game is about the only major thing that has drawn me back to Windows in the past, so here's hoping!

Installing Ubuntu 10.10 worked like a charm, and I've spent a good amount of time setting everything up just the way I like it. Well, as best I can at least, there are some minor things that I'd like to change, like having a decent system monitor, changing the color of certain things and so on, nothing major. Anyway, here's a look at how lovely it looks for the time being.













(because everyone using Linux is totally a hacker extraordinaire)

I'll probably tweak it a whole lot, but for the time being, I'm happy with it :).

No comments: